- February – Misao Jo started to weave with the help of her mother.
- January – Misao Jo started to sell her shawls at a store in Shinsaibashi Street, Osaka.
Misao named her brand “SAORI”.Kenzo Jo built the very first SAORI loom.
Since then, Sakaiseikisangyo Co. Ltd., a company founded by Misao’s husband in 1940’s started to produce SAORI looms and accessories.
- March – Misao Jo started to coach people.
- October – The very first exhibition of SAORI in Japan
- March – Gendai Teori Kenkyusho Co. Ltd. was founded.
- March – SAORI-HIROBA was founded (Later it became a non-profit organization).
- January – Participated in the International Very Special Arts (VSA arts) Festival, D.C.NPO SAORI-HIROBA was certified as Very Special Arts (VSA arts) of Japan.
- April – The 1st International Handweaving Meeting for People with Disabilities, Kobe, Japan. 35 people from 13 countries participated.
- December – Misao Jo was honoured by the Minister of Health and Welfare of Japan.
- November – Participated in the VSA arts Festival in Taiwan.
- March – Conducted the 2nd International Handweaving Meeting for People With Disabilities, Osaka, Japan.
- November – Participated in the VSA arts Festival in India.
- December – Misao Jo was honoured by the Prime Minister of Japan.
- March – SAORI Leaders’ Committee was founded.
- February – Conducted SAORI Workshop in Singapore
- May – Participated in the International VSA arts Festival in Belgium.
- September – SAORI Workshop in Singapore.
- May – A book “SAORI Shitate-no-hon” was published.
- June – SAORI in Canada (Victoria)
- June~August – SAORI workshops in Quebec, New Hampshire, New York and Malaysia
- May – Participated in the International VSA arts Festival in Brazil.
- May – Hosted the Asia Pacific VSA arts Festival in Osaka 1999.
- June – Participated in the VSA arts Festival in Los Angels.
- March – SAORI workshop in Thailand and Hong Kong
- May – SAORI workshop in Saudi Arabia
- August – Participated in the “2nd.Turkey International Special Arts Festival “in Istanbul, Turkey
- September – SAORI Workshop in Mongolia
- October – Published the book “SAORI – Self-discovery Through Free Weaving”.
- May – VSA International Night Gala 2002 at the residence of Japanese Ambassador, Washington D.C.SAORI workshop in New York
- July – SAORI workshop and exhibition in England and Spain
- September – Participated in the Inclusion International, Melbourne, Australia.
- October – Hosted the Asia and Pacific VSA Festival in Japan 2002, Osaka.
- January – SAORI Creative Center Opening Ceremony, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- May – Opening of SAORI-NO-MORI, Izumi-city, Osaka
- June – Participated in the International VSA Arts Festival in Washington D.C.Conducted SAORI and the International Handweaving Meeting in Washington D.C., and received 40 participants from 5 countries.SAORI workshop and exhibition in the U.K.
- December – Hosted the Asian and Pacific VSA arts Festival in OSAKA 2004.
- March – Demonstrated in the EXPO 2005 AICHI, JAPAN, Citizen Project (185days)
- June – SAORI workshop Chosyun in China
- July – The 1st SAORI US-CANADA gathering, MA
- November – SAORI public workshop in Honolulu.
It was the very first public workshop in overseas conducted by a SAORI organization in Japan
Participated in the Inclusion International, Mexico.
- February – Opening of the SAORI Training Center, Thailand; The start of the Thai Tsunami Project
- April – SAORI public workshop in Honolulu
- July – SAORI Arts Exhibition in NYC
The 2nd SAORI US-CANADA gathering, NYC
- June – SAORI Public Workshop in Honolulu
- July – The 3rd SAORI US-CANADA gathering, Minnesota
- July – SAORI Public Workshop in Honolulu
- November – SAORI’s 40th year anniversary, Osaka, Japan
- June – Participated in the International VSA arts Festival in Washington D.C.
- April – SAORI Public Workshop in Honolulu
- September – 2012 International SAORI Weaving Conference in Los Angeles and the 4th SAORI Canada-US Association meeting
- September – New English-language book “SAORI – Self-Innovation Through Free Weaving” was published.